Home » How To » Getting err = -39 with Apple’s iTunes?

Getting err = -39 with Apple’s iTunes?

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest and greatest iTunes (version 7.4.3.1). Since then, when I download podcasts, I occasionally receive the error message err = -39. According to Apple, the cause is incompatibility between iTunes and some web acceleration software. Guess what? I’m not using web acceleration software.

Manson2k, over at Red Kawa, suggests it may be due to ReadyBoost on Windows Vista. In my case, I already have ReadyBoost disabled.

Thinking that it is probably just a corrupted cache as the episodes were receiving the -39 error but had downloaded some of the file.  When I searched the computer for an episode name, I discovered that there were a few .tmp files in my Z:\\Music\\Downloads directory with the same names of podcast episodes that were receiving the -39 error. Deleting these files allowed iTunes to download the episodes correctly. 🙂

Obviously, there seems to be many causes of the -39 error.  I hope Apple fixes this bug or at least gives the option to clear the download cache from iTunes.

Comments

1. Simon says:

Jason you are a legend, your fix solved my problems too.

2. kieran says:

jason u are the man, the 39 error has been buging me for days. i read your fix and and it up and going again in mins, thanks for for that and keep the fixes coming.

3. Rob Collings says:

Thanks man, googled the error to find out what the problemo was. Took me straight to this page, worked a treat 🙂 thanks again.

4. Jimbo says:

Interesting that you solved this problem three years ago and the iTunes support site still refers to the same nonsense about “Web Accelerators.” I tried your fix and it worked instantly. Too bad Apple doesn’t know how to do a Google search.

5. Dani says:

…Thank you so much. You are definitely my new hero. This was posted 3 years ago but it works WAY better than that internet accelerator crap. Thanks!

6. Thanks! This worked like a charm.

7. Nekai says:

YEAH dude perfect !!! Thank you so much.
    The f**king .tmp file in my Downloads directory was corrupted.

8. Shawn says:

Worked like a charm for me. I’ve been having this problem for several weeks now and your’s is the correct solution. Good job.

9. Jim says:

Well! How easy was that? Thanks for the tip! 🙂

10. Orion says:

genius! pure genius! thank you very much for this! good job -thumbs up-

11. Joseph says:

iTunes can be very picky at times and the problems intermittent. The application itself continues to grow. Thanks for the tip.

12. Johny says:

I guess with the new iTunes update, all these error is a history, right. But IMHO iTunes is not the best software apple develop since some of the comments are still pretty confusing.

13. Sam Orchard says:

I get errors like this constantly with iTunes updates – It’s got to the point now where I just don’t bother.

14. selena says:

i havnt come across the 39 problem yet. Hopefully i wont.

15. desuki says:

Just encountered this error yesterday, and apple talks about this web accelerator that i dont have. Luckily google directed me to this website… your tips work like a charm. thanks a lot

16. Jonathan says:

I haven’t gotten error 39 yet myself but I’ve certainly had other issues with ITunes. Rather sheepishly though I found out that it was due to the cable I was using to sync to my iPod. Replaced that and haven’t had a problem since.

17. Ali Sadreddini says:

Looked everywhere for a solution…Apple support talking crap about the servers are too busy or some $#!7, and yet WinAmp downloads the podcasts straight away.

Thanks heaps mate…solved my problem….

Also this is in iTunes 10.6.17

18. Das Stef says:

Thank you so much. Error -39 was driving me crazy >:O

19. Marcus Mouse says:

thanx a million, my downloads are working again.