… plus a package of free Sybase Software valued at over $7000
Unfortunately there is a bit of misunderstanding that Not for Retail software are full versions.
The ISUG will happily entice you to join at the Gold level for the software:
- New Version! Free Developer Edition of Appeon for PowerBuilder 6.2
- New Version! Free NFR copy of Sybase PocketBuilder 2.5 (e-shop)
- New Version! Free NFR copy of WorkSpace Studio 2.1 (e-shop)
- New Version! Free NFR copy of Sybase DataWindow.NET 2.5 (e-shop)
- New Version! Free NFR copy of Sybase PowerBuilder Enterprise 11.5 (e-shop)
- New Version! EAServer 6.2 Developers Edition (e-shop)
- Free copy of IQ 12.7 Developers Edition (e-shop)
- ASE 15.0 Evaluation Kit (includes licenses, training materials, etc.)
- Free Copy of SQL Anywhere Studio for Windows or Linux/UNIX (e-shop)
- (User Group Presidents Only): Free NFR copy of Sybase PowerDesigner Studio
Let’s take a look at Sybase’s Not for Retail license:
Please note that the NFR copies of PowerDesigner, WorkSpace, PowerBuilder, PocketBuilder and DataWindow .NET are for development and personal use, and not for commercial deployment purposes. A copy of the NFR license can be found below. Please note that references to development in the license typically refer to full-scale development. Prototyping (also a form of development) is generally permitted. All questions related to what can and can not be done with the program in question should be directed to your local Sybase sales representative for clarification and not ISUG.
PRODUCT-SPECIFIC LICENSE TERMS
NOT FOR RESALE — DEMONSTRATION VERSION
- DEMONSTRATION USE OF PROGRAMS. You may install and use this Program internally in your organization solely for demonstration purposes on a single Machine. You may not use the Program for any development or production purpose, or transfer, assign, sublicense or otherwise convey the Program (or any portion thereof) to another party without Sybase’s prior written consent. You may not copy the Program except that you may either install the Program on your hard disk or make one copy for inactive back-up and archival purposes for your own use.
- TERMINATION. You acknowledge and understand that Sybase may terminate this Agreement at any time upon thirty days written notice to you. Upon any termination of this Agreement, you shall cease using the Program and shall destroy all copies of the Program in any form.
- WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. This Not for Resale — Demonstration version Program is provided AS IS, without any warranty or support. SYBASE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABLE QUALITY, NON INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
- PRECEDENCE. THE ABOVE TERMS SHALL TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER ANY INCONSISTENT OR CONFLICTING TERMS OF THE ACCOMPANYING SYBASE LICENSE.
Make sense? Well, for far too many people, it doesn’t. So let’s just go over what you can and can not do with NFR software:
What you can do:
- Install and run the software on one and only one computer (your computer)
- Demonstrate the software
- Build diagrams, binaries, libraries, etc.
What you can not do:
- Only you can operate the software
- Share any diagrams
- Share binaries or libraries
- Release any source code generated or even YOUR OWN source code that YOU produce while using the NFR software. Unfortunately, this also includes taking the source code (or diagrams,etc) and using them with other software outside of a ‘demonstration’.
There isn’t anything distinguishing Not for Retail software from demo software.
While ISUG does state that the software is Not for Retail, ISUG stating that the NFR software is valued at over $7,000 is not just a misrepresentation but a bold faced lie bordering on bait and switch.
The purpose of this post is not to direct people away from being ISUG members, you do get a nifty Technical Journal where article authors are only sometimes paid for their work, but to have people join with their collective eyes open.