Home » Databases » Did you write an article for ISUG’s Technical Journal and either haven’t been paid or refused payment?

International Sybase User Group

For those of you that don’t know, I have written several articles for the ISUG Technical Journal.  I’ve been paid for one and refused payment on the others.  Are there other authors that haven’t been paid for one reason or another?

This is not meant as a dig at ISUG but simply determining if I’m the only one or if there are others.

Comments

1. Kevin Sherlock says:

I think I found that axe you were hiding. Why is it that you were not paid for (several – 1) articles?

2. Kevin Sherlock says:

Jason,
    This is a bummer.
    How many articles were you denied payment for?

3. Axe? Hiding? I doubt that.

1. Kevin Sherlock says:

So…. how many articles where you denied payment for?

4. I thought you were on the ISUG board, or something like that? That’s pretty strange not getting paid. I was thinking about writing an another article, not so much for money but more for exposure. I am curious, do you have an numbers on the circulation? If people arn’t getting paid, maybe its time to raise a flag with Sybase, Inc.

1. Yes, I was on the board of directors for a couple years. There are several articles I was never paid for and the President of ISUG refuses to discuss them. I’m not the only author that the ISUG “Executive Committee” have cheated. Sybase is unwilling to get involved as Sybase considers it an internal matter to ISUG.

If I would have known I wouldn’t get paid prior to writing the articles, I could have written them off on my taxes as donations. I think I would have been okay with that. However, an agreement was made on a sum of money for each article I wrote and had published in the ISUG Technical Journal.

It’s a sad day when agreements that were made are broken.

5. Mike Harrold says:

While I’m “late to the party” I need to clear up some things for the general readers and those who might find this page on a search engine.

Jason Froebe submitted two articles to the ISUG Technical Journal. He was paid for one, and not the other and he knows full well why he wasn’t paid for the second, but I will spell it out — he did not comply with the submission guidelines for the article as noted on our website. Adherence to these guidelines is a requirement for payment. The guidelines are straight forward.

There are authors who do not qualify for payment but still submit articles to us. An example of this would be a Sybase employee who writes an article on Sybase’s time (they’re essentially already being paid by Sybase). Another example would be a partner writing a piece on their product.

Jason, if you know of other authors who have qualified for payment but have not been paid, please have them contact me so we know who they are and can take steps to rectify the situation. We certainly have not had any other author raise this issue with us so we are not aware of any such occurrence.

6. Actually the article did comply with the submission guidelines and YOU, Mike Harrold, dramatically changed it. ISUG is still legally bound to pay for the article or stop publishing it.

On a side note, I wonder why you are paid a salary by ISUG of what $30,000 or so?

Sorry, but ISUG is a waste of time as it no longer serves a purpose.

7. Kevin Sherlock says:

Jason wrote:
    >> For those of you that don’t know, I have written several articles for the
    >> ISUG Technical Journal. I’ve been paid for one and refused payment on the others.

and

>> There are several articles I was never paid for and the President of ISUG refuses to discuss them

and then Jason wrote:

>> Yes, I was on the board of directors for a couple years.

and then Jason wrote:

>> Sorry, but ISUG is a waste of time as it no longer serves a purpose.

Several unpaid articles turns into one? You leave (voluntarily?) your post at ISUG, and _now_ ISUG is a waste of time. hmmm… this thread is about as painful as converting from ASE to Oracle.

1. Kevin, I highly recommend joining the ISUG Board for you. Look honestly on how things are run and what the board’s priorities are. I’ll let you make up your own mind.

1. Kevin Sherlock says:

I’m not defending or condemning ISUG. You are talking out both sides of your mouth on your blog site. You rip ISUG for exagerating the estimated software savings of membership, then leave the board, then go on to imply that you were stiffed on SEVERAL articles you wrote for ISUG. Then, you say that ISUG (you know, the org you wrote SEVERAL, uh – two, articles for) is worthless. I don’t know anything about ISUG board priorities, but one of them better include keeping their own tech journal from publishing pieces about migrating AWAY from Sybase products.