Home » How To » HowTo: Plex Home Theatre (Plex client) for Ubuntu Linux!

HowTo: Plex Home Theatre (Plex client) for Ubuntu Linux!

Installing Plex Home Theater in Ubuntu (or related distributions) is quite easy but it isn’t documented all that well.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:plexapp/plexht
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jon-severinsson/ffmpeg
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pulse-eight/libcec
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install plexhometheater

You will find it in your desktop menu or you can call it directly:

/opt/plexhometheater/bin/plexhometheater

Plex Home Theater

Comments

1. To switch between full screen and windowed mode, hit the back slash key: \

1. sam pate says:

as a fool on noob to the wonderful world of Ubuntu, can you expand on the directions of getting this thing installed?

1. Press CTRL+ALT+T and enter these one at a time, pressing the “Enter” ket after each one.

1. sam pate says:

On the final step (install plexhometheater), i continue to get the error that it depends on libcec (>=1.7) despite my best efforts to ensure I have installed & updated libcec to the best of my abilities

1. sam pate says:

figured it out. 13.10 is not compatible with current versions of libcec. needed to downgrade to 13.04

2. Thanks for letting us know Sam. Hopefully it will get resolved on 13.10 soon.

3. Dan says:

Could you not just install the raring build of libcec on 13.10?

1. Dan, almost certainly. 🙂 I’ll try to find some time this weekend to try it out.

4. Kendall says:

I’m having the same issue as Sam. From what I can tell the raring build won’t help as it’s version 1.6.7 and the plexhometheater package depends on libcec 1.7. Looks like we may just need to compile it ourselves to get the right version.

5. ValeryK says:

You need to change from ppa:pulse-eight/libcec to ppa:team-xbmc/ppa for libcec library, and, if you have the ubunty 13.10 (saucy salamander) need to change them in source list from saucy to raring. Because saucy not supported at this time.

6. Kudos to ValeryK! 🙂

1. skramnz says:

Thanks ValeryK!

1. ValeryK says:

Saucy is supported NOW .

7. AKA says:

8. Rocking says:

Hi Jason,
    I have installed plex home theater in my ubuntu 12.04LTS.but i have some problems.these are the problems.
    1—>how to turned off graphical boot to avoid “ububtu logo” showing on display during boot process.
    2—>How to configure auto-login to the non-privileged user and then, in the next boot, after X11 loads, the OS make auto-login and the PlexHT app runs automatically, very quickly.. you barely notice that the Ubuntu OS is booting, becase before PlexHT is shown, only terminal screen is appearing.
    Please help me out…

9. Lynn says:

Totally new to ubuntu also. Have 14.04 LTS. Successfully installed this plexhometheater package and it opened once then crashed when I was trying to sign in. Tried restarting my netbook and now it won’t open at all. When I try to open it from terminal with the command you suggested it says unknown service or with the command “sudo service plexhometheater start”. Now I can’t even figure out how to reinstall or if there’s something else I need to do. Any suggestions? Thanks!

1. Your best bet would be to ask on the PLEX forums as I don’t actively use plex home theater. http://forums.plex.tv