Home » How To » How to root the Bell and Howell C714 tablet

How to root the Bell and Howell C714 tablet

I picked up a couple inexpensive Bell*Howell C714 tablets from Ollie’s Bargain Outlet store for Miriam and Asher (5 & 4 years old).

Bell&Howell C714 Tablet

In order to sync movies & tv shows to the tablets, the Plex app needs write access to the sdcard (memory card).  Since the Plex app is a media type application for Android, I needed to update system/etc/permission/platform.xml but that requires root access.   So what to do?  Root it!

We need to download PDA.net and “root with Restore” from HOW TO ROOT ANY CHINESE ANDROID 4.0 PHONE OR DEVICE.

1. Remove the sdcard from the tablet
  2. On the tablet, we need to turn on USB Debugging. This can be found under Settings -> Developer Options. Turn it on.
  3. Install PDA.net
  4. Unzip “root with Restore.zip” on to your C: drive.  I used “C:\root” for the directory
  5. Tap your Windows key, and type cmd but do not hit enter.  Right click on it and click on “Run as administrator”
  6. cd to the directory where you unzipped “root with Restore.zip”
  7. Type “RunMe.bat” and select the second option.  Wait until it is done.

root with Restore

After a few minutes your Bell*Howell C714 tablet will be rooted and you can edit the platform.xml file!  Don’t forget to insert your sdcard.

For Plex to store the synced shows on the sdcard, I had to

I had to add to both the read & write storage for my kids’ Bell&Howell C714 tablets to get plex to store the sync’d files on the sdcard. update system/etc/permission/platform.xml
replace:

<group gid=”media_rw”></group>
</permission>

<permission name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” >
  <group gid=”sdcard_rw”></group>
  <group gid=”media_rw”></group>
</permission>

Comments

1. Kevin L Harris says:

My Aunt bought one of the C714 and she put a pattern password. She forgot the pattern and can not get into it. I can find nothing on these on the internet and the company tech support line DOES NOT even deal with tablets. they give you an email address to send your question to and after a week I still have not gotten a response.

Since she has forgotten the pattern it wants her to log into her google account and go to google recovery to reset it. The problem is she has never connected to the internet with the tablet because she could not figure it out and without being able to get into the tablet (or the settings) I can not set it up to connect to the internet.

At this point I just want to do a hard reset since she only had a couple games on it and nothing else, she will not lose anything.
    Again as I have said the tech support for this product is nonexistent and I have tried every button combination I could think of.

Can you tell me how to Hard reset the device back to factory settings?

Kevin

1. AJ says:

If you “boot” the computer by pressing the power and VOLUME UP button, you will see the android robot with his “lid” open– looking like he’s doing surgery..

Press the “return” button on the front of the screen, you’ll see a menu.. Factory reboot is an option.. Remove the SD card, maybe the games she put on it were there.. Nothing lost.. 🙂

use the volume buttons to move thru the menu, the “return” button to initiate..

Hope this helps.

1. ycs says:

This procedure helped to do a factory reset. The tablet would not go past the initial android loading screen. That’s all that it would do. Now, it’s working, just have to load personal data back on it again, but that’s ok.

2. Marlinis Trinidad says:

I got the tablet but were can i get cover for it

3. john hicks says:

an employee of mine has bought one of the tablets when she cuts it on all she gets is the little man walking back and forth . i have tried a reboot but it dosent work it dose the same thing what can she do

1. Scarlet says:

John mine is doing the same thing did you get any fixes?

1. adam says:

Press the power button then press and hold up and down volume key till a android laying on its back appears then hit the arrow button on front of tablet then u can do a factory rest and it will re load the os . I had the same issue just fixed mine this way.

2. AJ says:

Again– pressing the “power” and “volume up” button AT THE SAME TIME, will boot it in a recovery mode..

….read and follow label directions. 🙂

I’ve had to do this myself. There’s a lot to the adage you get what you pay for..

The “cheap” android tablet will make that clear, quickly.. 🙁

4. Danielle Somers says:

I bought this. I can’t get it to connect to my WiFi. It did one time. Now, nothing. There are no trouble shooting directions. So I’m not quite sure what to do.

5. AJ says:

Danielle– did you put it accidentally in airplane mode, and shut off the radios???

1. Theresa says:

i did today, how do I get that turned off. Also, the tablet shows it is locked, HELP

6. Kim says:

Ok guy came up selected factory reset nothing happening.

7. Rebecca says:

I purchased a couple for my kids as well. Last year my son’s exploded! He wasn’t using it, it was just sitting where it usually does when not in use and the next day I noticed it had blown apart. I called the company and they replaced it. The crazy thing is, they weren’t even surprised. They actually already have a procedure is place for just such an occurrence.

Fast forward another year, now my daughter’s had exploded in th same way. Problem is, i cannot find a contact number for them. I called the customer service number on the manual, but it rerouted me to a different place that sounds like a scam operation.

Anyone else experience this?

1. Honestly, I wouldn’t spend much time on it, the tablet is quite old and is worth less than $10 now.