Recently I tried installing vmware tools in a Ubuntu 8.04.1 JEOS Server virtual machine with no success. After a bit of googling, I came across the Peter Cooper’s blog that outlined the procedure rather well for VMware Fusion, but it works for VMware Server and VMware Workstation just fine. Essentially:
- download Open VM Tools from Sourceforge
- Mount VMware tools (Host -> VM -> Install VMware Tools), mount /dev/cdrom
- Extract the vmware tools to /tmp
- Extract and compile Open VM Tools (./configure)
- Tar up the compiled open vm tools and copy to the vmware tools directory
- Run vmware-install.pl
See Peter’s blog for step by step instructions.